Spring Sports Affected by COVID-19

Kimmie Rauscher

We are moving into our sixth week of social distancing and e-learning and many people are wondering, “What is happening with our spring sports?” At the moment, many of the seasons have been officially canceled, but there’s still a glimmer of hope for our Girls’ Soccer and Boys’ Baseball seasons. 

When sophomore Emslie Guion from Girls’ Varsity Soccer was asked if there is a small chance for rescheduling their season, she replied, “Yes! As long as we go back on April 30th we will have a shortened season and a chance to win state!”

Sophomore Kullen Ringenberg from JV Baseball was asked the same question and he replied, “Well, it’s not canceled yet, the SCHSL (South Carolina High School League) meets tomorrow and the fifth to decide but both teams, JV and Varsity, had a ton of potential.” 

There is still plenty of hope along with many prayers for everyone’s seasons to continue. Everyone is anticipating the return for school and the ability for these extracurricular activities to come back into play. When the news was officially announced to the public that schools would be closed for the month of March, no one had a clue about how long we’d stay out. Now we have been scheduled to stay home for another month, until April 30th, and many have accepted the fact that they will no longer play for the rest of the school year. From everyone I interviewed, everyone believed that their teams had great potential for the current season. 

When sophomore Michael Lemmon from JV Boy’s Lacrosse was asked how he felt about the cancellation he replied, “Well it really sucks, because we only played one game and the rest were canceled from weather.” 

Sophomore Brady Myers from Boys’ Varsity Lacrosse had this to say in response to the same question, “It doesn’t feel good, I feel sorry for our seniors, and I feel sad that I won’t be able to achieve my goals I set for myself this year.” 

Another sophomore, Ethan Garza, from Boys’ Varsity Soccer stated, “Soccer was a thing that I can do to get away from all the outside problems in the world, when I play I forget about everything that’s happening outside of soccer so I’m really sad that this year I won’t be able to bond and create new friends on the team.” 

A fourth sophomore, Kylee Pennington, from Girls’ Varsity Soccer stated, “It makes me really sad because school soccer has always been one of my favorite parts of the year, and this year we had an amazing team who could’ve went far.” 

Lastly, in response to this question, sophomore Aden Boden from Boys’ JV Lacrosse had this to say: “It’s sad and disappointing, but now that the virus is at full speed it makes sense. It is really unfortunate for the seniors though and hopefully we can still have summer league.”

Overall, everyone is upset that they will not be able to play, but they are all completely understanding and recognize that the current situation could have made things worse if we were to continue. 

When sophomore Yazmin Wilson from Varsity Track was asked how she felt about the cancellation she replied, “I’m definitely sad, I was really excited for the season! But, I get it at the same time because everyone’s health is important too.” 

Everyone is hoping that the seniors aren’t too devastated by this and they can still continue playing and/or move on with life through college. Many players are emotionally connected with their sports, making them feel even worse about the season being gone. For some, this is their last season they will ever play and now it has been swiped away from them.

While all these athletes and teams are missing their practices and games, many have continued to keep in touch throughout quarantine. They have done many things such as working out at home by doing either actual work outs or practicing their individual skills. Others have also kept in contact through video meets to ensure their team is still hanging in there or to just say a nice hello and see each other’s smiling faces during these upsetting times. 

When asked about what their team does to stay in contact and continue to workout, sophomore Kayla Bartus from JV track replied, “We haven’t gotten workouts really, but most of us (including me) are disciplined enough and determined so we do workouts on our own like I’m about to do!” 

In response to the same question, sophomore Lily Aldrich from Girls’ Varsity Soccer stated, “Yes, we actually have a Marco Polo going on where we all chat and log our fitness in a way – we also do some Zoom Meetings but we’re still working out the kinks.” 

According to Emslie Guinon, Marco Polo is an app that the team uses where they, for the most part, “…send in little, short videos in a chat with the team.” She informed me Marco Polo is somewhat similar to Snapchat’s format and the team uses it to post all the ways they are continuing to stay active during this time. 

Lastly, sophomore Brady Myers from Varsity Boys’ Lacrosse had this to say about the following question, “Well we’ve talked to each other but we are respecting social distancing. That doesn’t mean we aren’t practicing. We’ve been doing solo practices in our backyards, running to keep in shape, and also working out.”

Overall, our school has plenty of dedicated athletes that are continuing their seasons on the home front. Many are self-disciplined, such as Kayla Bartus said, to continue working out and working on their individual skills outside of school. Spring is the time that most of our sports are in play which means there are even more sports out there that have been affected and were not mentioned in the article. If we could all learn something from these inspirational people, we would understand that when a wall comes to knock us down there are always multiple ways to go around it.