Band Blows Audience Away

Gabby Brinez-Pardo, Fine Arts Writer

Ladies and gentlemen, if you weren’t at the band concert on December 6th, you missed out. From the classic Christmas songs to the incredible solos, both the Symphonic band (the regular band at our school) and the Wind Ensemble (the band that has some more advanced players and is required to audition for outside bands) gave a wonderful performance.

The night began with two chamber groups (a small group of musicians) from Wind Ensemble. The first group was a wind trio that performed Silent Night and the next was a saxophone quintet that played “Ukrainian Bell Carol.” It was apparent they put a generous amount of time and effort into practicing as they kicked off the concert.

Symphonic Band was next to play and they started off their performance with a patriotic piece called “An American Christmas,” moved on with “Fantasia on Silent Night,” and ended with the classic, “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.” Throughout their performance, this group displayed a mature sound, showed off a remarkable percussion section, and demonstrated excellent musicality (the quality or state of the musical performance based on qualities in music).

Finally, the Wind Ensemble took the stage and wowed the crowd. They gave a performance that excels the average high school band which included a talented selection of soloists, such as Corey Schumacher who wildly impressed the audience with his endless solos. Considering the fantastic performance this group gave, it’s no wonder that they will be the first band from Greenville County to ever perform at the South Carolina Music Educators Association (SCMEA) Conference on February 9th.