Kickoff to the Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kickoff to the Year

Mauldin Versus Hillcrest Kickoff

Mauldin Versus Hillcrest Kickoff

Kimmie Rauscher

Mauldin Versus Hillcrest Kickoff

Kimmie Rauscher

Kimmie Rauscher

Mauldin Versus Hillcrest Kickoff

Layla Eckhardt and Kimmie Rauscher

• Junior long snapper Kevin Dasilva snaps the ball.

• Juniors come to together at the pep rally in an effort to win the Spirit Stick.

• The Mauldin Maverick Marching Band showcases their skills at halftime during the Mauldin-Hillcrest game.

Riley Yearout

Football season is in full swing at Mauldin High and students are excited! The pep rally took place during school on Friday, August 30 to get students pumped for the upcoming games and school year. The gym was filled with bright orange and rowdy students. The fall sports teams like girls’ tennis, golf, cross country, swimming, volleyball, and cheerleading were announced, ending with the varsity football team. The battle for the Spirit Stick was intense! Neither the freshmen nor sophomores stood out enough to win the stick. The competition came down to a tie between the juniors and seniors. Seniors ended up taking the win along with the Spirit Stick.  Coach Sands brought all the grades together for the “Ram Meat” cheer and ended the pep rally with a shout out to Student Council, saying it was “…the loudest and most organized pep rally we’ve had in years.” The pep rally’s momentum carried throughout the day and continued into game time.

Before the game, the Student Council held a tailgate to get the students excited for the upcoming event. Burgers, hot dogs, cookies, drinks were served and overall it brought our student section closer together. 

The game started off with a touchdown made by Junior running back George Ford. The field kick to complete the seven points was scored by Senior kicker Ben Dority. At half time, the marching band gave an amazing performance to get everyone ready for the second half of the game. The final score of the game was 28-7, Rams taking the win. Our varsity team put up a great fight, and still have plenty of opportunities to make adjustments. The Maverick football team will play at JL Mann on Friday, September 6th at seven. Make sure to come and support the Mavs!