Everything You Need to Know About MHS Clubs

Ian Milionis, Feature Writer

Almost everyday on the announcements, you’ll hear about Mauldin’s clubs. “DECA meets today at four o’clock.” “YIG is meeting Thursday at eight AM.” Who are these clubs, what do they do and how can we join them? After meeting with as many of these leaders and student members as possible, The Maverick Roundup has done its best to showcase what Mauldin High School’s clubs are. 

Academic Team: Run by Mr. Joel Leine, the club meets every Tuesday and Thursday mornings in D-127.

Be A Fan: Run by Ms. Nicole Welsh, they meet the second and fourth Tuesday of every month in D-142.

CAN Club: CAN (Change Attitudes Now) promotes a healthy lifestyle for students to keep away from drugs and alcohol abuse. Fun field trips to elementary and middle schools to talk to kids, and to promote to everyone to stay away from drugs and alcohol abuse. Hiking, zip lining, white water rafting, SpareTime, ice skating, and a whole lot more outside school activities. Mr. Robert Stone runs CAN club, they meet Tuesdays and Thursdays every other week in B-220.

Choir: Run by Ms. Laura Morris, they possibly meet any day of the school week but they do meet in Choir Room or Auditorium. 

Club International:  Club International is a student-based club that delves into different cultures, customs, and cuisine. Students are also given the opportunity to participate in an international trip every other year. Fundraising opportunities are available to assist interested students in defraying the cost of both local cultural field trips as well as the international trip. Students from all backgrounds are encouraged to participate in the club. Club dues are $5.00, it is run by Ms. Gwen Hyer and they meet the second Tuesday of every month. The location is to be determined.

DECA: DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) is a club that revolves around business. It ranges from sports and entertainment to accessories and apparel to tourism and hospitality services. It is closely related to YIG, except it does not revolve around laws, but revolves around the working of people interacting with each other, socializing, and the basic fundamentals of a business. This club is competitive because they attend competitions throughout the year. This club is run by Mr. Travis Watkins and Mrs. Lori Robbins. They generally meet twice a month. 

Environmental Club: Run by Ms. Kate Barber, the club meets Wednesdays, after school in B-325.

FCA: Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) is a non-denominational student-led Christian organization. They start off the day by having fellowship with a free breakfast for anyone who would like to join. After the free food, they go into a time of worship followed by a local pastor giving a message. The club also plays games and other fun activities. Throughout the year they do some local community service projects. One example is they give Christmas presents for students in need around the giving season. This club is run by Mrs. Carrie Ropp. They meet every Friday morning (in the auditorium); but leadership meets every other Monday (in Coach Sands’ room- A105). 

French National Honor Society: Run by Ms. JeriLynn McGee, the club meets every 3rd Tuesday of the month in E-108.

Future Educators Club: Run by Ms. Rachel Turner, they meet 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month 8:00 am – 8:30 in B-131.

Future Farmers of America (FFA): Run by Ms. Holden Epperly, they meet on the first Friday of every month in the morning in the AG classroom B-013.

Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA): Run by Mr. Brian Slusher, they meet in the auditorium every Tuesday from 4-5.

HOSA Club: This is a club for people who are/want to go into the medical field. In this club, you would research chosen topics in medicine, shadow nurses, go to hospitals, or watch videos for a certain topic. Sometimes they do a lab in anatomy (they even use human organs to dissect). Last year the club dissected a HUMAN BRAIN. Pretty cool stuff right? They also go to conferences every year. If you’re going into the medical field, this club is a very good place to start. This club is run by Mrs. Amy Collins. They meet on the fourth Thursday of every month plus some additional meetings in F-102

Interact Club: Interact is a service club that is sponsored by the Mauldin Rotary. It is involved in a variety of community outreach events and service projects, ranging from the Miracle Hill Soup Kitchen in downtown Greenville; to giving gifts in the community, serving lunch to retiring teachers, and making Valentine’s Day cards for children in the hospitals. In total, Interact members are active within both Mauldin High School and the local community. It is run by Ms. Ginger Ernst and they meet every second Monday of the month in B-301.

Investing Club: Run by Mr. Joel Leine, they meet every Wednesday morning in D-127.

Kappa Delta Cow: Kappa Delta Cow is a senior class organization. They have one week of dress-up days, food, etc. which is September 16-20. The dues ($35) help pay for the end of the year Senior Picnic, as well as part of the Class Competition Tailgate. In the past, Kappa Delta Cow has been able to make a donation to the spirit week charity. Run by Ms. Melaine Rivers, Kappa D Cow meets September 17-21 in B-117

KEY Club: Key Club is a service club that is sponsored by Kiwanis (a non-profit organization). People who are a part of the club serve in the community and must have four service credits per semester. Mrs. Cecere (B231) service opportunities are posted outside of her room. The club does Greenville County Recreation events,  City of Mauldin events, soup kitchens, carnivals and so much more. It is a great club to join with a friend so you can attend events together. Run by Mrs. Marci Cecere, the club only meets at the beginning of the year interest meeting in the Media Center.  

Marching Band / Color Guard: Run by Mr. Adam Scheuch, they meet every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday afternoons in the band room. Color Guard meets on the lower practice field or in the atrium.

National Art Honors Society : Run by Ms. Anne Crowe, they meet every Wednesday except the first Wednesday of every month in the art rooms.

National Honor Society: The National Honor Society and National Junior Honor Society are national organizations established to recognize outstanding high school and middle school level students. This organization is more than just an honor roll, NHS and NJHS serve to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character. This is run by Ms. Raj Deshpande but the meeting area and dates have not been posted yet. 

Robotics Team: The Mauldin Robotics team is part of the international FIRST Robotics competition and is also known as FRC Team Flash 1319. Since 2004 the team has been building robots and competing at regional events across the US. Our students work with engineers and other technical professionals to design, build, program, and test a fully functioning, custom built robot. The team’s competition season runs from January to April. They have won numerous technical and team related awards as well as regional championships and world titles. Their biggest awards have come at the World Championships where they have won two UL Safety Awards and placed 3rd in the world as winner of the Galileo division. The team is also dedicated to growing STEM in our community by starting FIRST Lego League and FIRST Tech Challenge teams. Team Flash have demonstrated their robot at Greenville Swamp Rabbit hockey games, the iMAGINE Upstate STEM festival, the Roper Mountain Science Center, and at several Girls’ STEAM Night Out events. Their biggest accomplishment has been the students’ successes both in and out of the robot room.  One hundred percent of the club’s students have gone on to college, trade school, or to pursue military education after high school. Their successes in STEM related fields and in post-high school life serve as their best proof that Mauldin’s team, as part of the FIRST program, serves a valuable role in helping inspire and grow the next generation of engineers, programmers, scientists, and leaders. The Robotics Team regularly meets In January, February, and March. During this time the team meets weeknights (nine to six), Saturdays (nine to five), and Sundays (one to five). This club is run by Mr. Anthony Bufis.

Spanish National Honors Society: Spanish National Honor Society  is an organization of over 80 students who have completed at least three years of Spanish. These students tutor other students in Spanish I & II once a month. Their service projects are to go to elementary schools once a month (which begin in November and December) to teach a lesson in Spanish. The Club goes to Greenbrier, Mauldin, and Monarch elementary schools.  On occasion the club will go to dinner at a Mexican or Hispanic restaurant to practice their Spanish. In December they also adopt a family through the Salvation Army. Run by Señora Shanna Yown, SNHS meets every third Thursday of the month in the auditorium.

Speech and Debate Team: Run by Mr. Greg Snoad they normally meet Tuesday and Thursday after school in rooms A-103 and A-107.

STUCO:  This is a mostly student led organization, they provide services to the school and the community. Once a month the club does a community service project, which could be in school or community based. During Spirit Week, the club picks a charity to donate to and all the proceeds go to that organization. Safe Harbour has been chosen for this year’s organization by STUCO. This non-profit helps protect battered and abused women. Sometimes these women have to get out of their homes fast, and all they might bring with them is a grocery bag full of their things and nothing much more. This organization gives them refuge, temporary housing, and helps them get back on their feet. So please, everyone, donate to this year’s Spirit Week to help such a great cause. This club is run by Ms Katie Adams. They meet every Wednesday morning at 7:45 in the auditorium.

Students In Action: Run by Ms. Tammy McClain, dates and a meeting area have not been determined.

Writers Society: Students get together and bring their own original writing or writing by other authors they appreciate. The first five minutes of a meeting is a quick write; if they want to share what they have they can. After reading, the group can critique or discuss the pros and cons or just discuss the writing. This club is for people who really enjoy writing. It is run by Mr. Brian Slusher and they meet every Monday 4-5 in the Media Center. 

Young Democrats: Run by Mr. Greg Snoad, dates have not been posted yet but they do meet in A-103.

Youth In Government (YIG): Run by Mr. Greg Snoad, they meet mornings before school (schedule has not been given yet). The full-club meets in the auditorium; training sessions meet in advisor’s classrooms.