Let’s Cut to the Cheese

Back to Article
Back to Article

Let’s Cut to the Cheese

The Mauldin High School cafeteria during lunch

Megan Van Kirk

Megan Van Kirk

Megan Van Kirk

Megan Van Kirk, Student News Writer

Every teenager loves food. For an age group that tends to come off as indifferent and care-free, teenagers have quite an opinion when it comes to what they’re eating. That is prominent in Mauldin, where we have an abundance of variety when it comes to what students can eat. “The Mav Market has a nice variety of sustenance. The bagels there are pretty good and a lot of people like hot pockets, ramen, and pretzels,” said junior Jackson Witt.  

According to www.fns.usda.gov, in 2010, President Barack Obama signed the Healthy, Hungry-Free Kids Act. This act gave schools federal funding for school meals and for assisted meal plans. The bill requires schools to change what they’re serving kids every five years. Take the Mav Market for example. They used to sell a lot of different things in the past, like coffee. Due to this act, however, they had to switch things up. Thanks to the bill, there is also a low-income lunch that students could be offered. Every now and then, the Mav Market sells candies and sodas for special occasions, like during Spirit Week.  In the future, Mauldin High School principal Mr. Peake says that food with more types of bread and more things with “flavor” will be added.   

As of this year, students at Mauldin are no longer permitted to bring outside food into the school and the addition of that rule has brought a little distress. It doesn’t matter if you grab Bojangles for breakfast and want to bring it in or if you’re coming back to school after an appointment– you aren’t allowed to bring it into the school. The question is, why? After speaking with Peake, there are multiple reasons: The rule was already in the handbook; it just wasn’t strictly implemented until this year. Second, Mauldin High already serves a free breakfast so bringing in your own isn’t necessary. Also, since the implementation of this rule, there has been a significant decrease in tardies. Outside food in the classroom was also often found to be a distraction. This rule has benefitted students more than they realize and has helped create a more focused classroom. 

Coming to terms with the facts, we have to accept that the Mauldin staff is doing the best they can to create enjoyable and satisfying food selection and diversity. Students have their variety when it comes to what they can eat, and when. Also with the new food choices in the future, students will be able to look forward to new and updated choices. Although students are no longer able to bring in their own food, they will suffer fewer tardies, distractions in class, and they’re also able to get a free breakfast from the school.